Sharn, Syrania, and More
Case File-Stables Arson
- Man led mob of citizens to Offices and Feed Storage of a prominent Firelight carriage service. He used a Wand of Eternal Firebolt to burn the building & adjoining hayloft. Two girls and an employee were in building at time; girls rescued unconscious employee and several valuables from the burning building. Strongbox disappeared after removal, presumed stolen. Blackened Book was called in to put out fire and guard remaining valuables.
- Unconscious employee brought to Jorasco clinic for treatment. Met mob members there; interrogated them. One grew fearful, tried to flee; fell over dead moments later. Puncture wound and unusual drops found on back of neck.
- Investigation of the victim’s (Mitchem “Softfoot” the Cobbler) shop/house revealed a secret nook containing magically-silenced shoes, halfling-sized. During investigation, a group of goblins with Daask gang brands attacked; their initial goal was to steal the stash and smash the shop. Two fled, one was captured, rest killed.
- Lower Menthis Watch commander arrived shortly after fight at cobblers, took over questioning goblin. He said the Daask-Boromar crime war was outside my pay grade. He also revealed a capture-for-ransom notice on Eris plus reports on who demanded her capture (see Case File-Morg Ransom and Death), and Wolf and Brigade’s reports on the arson. He also mentioned the Boromars might rub me out if I press my luck.
- Arson, Conspiracy, Murder, possibly Theft (Sinatra or Boromar gang)
- Attempted Theft, Vandalism, Assaulting Guard (Daask gang goblins)
- Potential Conspiracy (Carriage Service Owner)
- Mob leader talked about changelings infiltrating the building, tried to flush them out with fire, pointed firebolt wand at 2 girls, demanded they get out of his mind. I broke his arm forcing him to lower the wand; he didn’t seem to notice. He seemed delirious. (self-observation)
- Mob leader’s name was Benton. He organized the mob simply by saying he knew where to find them, after a few days of rumors circulating that dopplegangers were replacing the workers. There was only supposed to be a few ‘accidental’ falls down stairs; nothing was said about burning buildings. (mob member being treated at clinic)
- Employee fell unconscious from burns and smoke inhalation. (self-observation)
- One of the girls removed most of the valuables from the building and set them outside. The strongbox disappeared after she removed it, but before the Blackened Book arrived. (self-observation)
- Another mob member said he couldn’t help us because we couldn’t protect him. He looked suspiciously at halfling healer before trying to bolt out of the door. He died moments later. Puncture wound and strange droplets found on back of his neck. (self-observation)
- Dead mob member mumbled something about crime and Boromir Clan under his breath before he bolted. (Grim Grin)
- Strange droplets identified as poison. (Eris)
- Droplets reminiscent of Nitharit, a contact poison. Dart mark made by liquid poison magically frozen into a dart shape. Death occured several seconds after it hit. (Lienna: halfling healer)
- Dead mob member had a few copper & silver coins and measuring tools on him; probably a cobbler. (self-observation)
- Dead mob member’s name is Mitchem, also known as “Softfoot” for his sturdy, comfortable shoes. Gave his residence address. (streetwalker in clinic)
- Goblins ordered to find the stash in Mitchem’s cobbler shop, smash everything else. (overheard goblin orders)
- “Subject Benton. Of the eighth batallion, Brelan West. Arcane Artillery. Eternal Wand of Firebolt was his weapon of choice during the War. Squad infiltrated and betrayed by enemy changeling impersonating Benton’s cousin and lover. Instigation into Firelight and Carrier Service influenced by, to his mind, an innocent young girl. Careful mental prompting suggests this ‘child’ was in fact a halfling in late teens, early twenties. Subsequent study of ledgers rescued from burnt-out building suggests the Carrier service had recently changed owners and the new ones failed to pay for ‘security’.” (Wolf’s report)
- “Representative of the mob being questioned. Named Dustvin. Multiple criminal records of disturbing the peace at violent public gatherings. Easily swayed by ‘mob mentality’.” (Brigade’s report)
- “Revived clerk – named Nador. Made multiple attempts to convince Carriage Service owners to continue funding security firm Sinatra. Suggests Sinatra instigated the arson.” (Brigade’s report)
- Sinatra security employs Denieth (Mark of Sentinel) and Tharashk (Mark of Finding) members, other professionals. Has a degree of ostensibly legitimate clientele as a security firm. Rumor, but no proof, that it’s also a front for the Boromar’s protection racket. (word on the street)
- Nador suspected of embezzling funds, trying to rehire Sinatra. (Carriage Service owner)
- Strongbox contained non-minted coinage. (Carriage Service owner; architect Drogar didn’t seem to believe this, and his standard Skyway guests would use minted currency – investigate further)
- Artitect Drogar Carnegie, who’s rebuilding the Carriage Service building, might know more about Sinatra. (hunch)
- Sinatra’s been around for about a decade. They’re usually legitimate, but sometimes ‘miss’ incidents involving wealthy clients. (Probably splitting takes from thieves looking to rob them while the guards are away.) Most establishments pay them to keep gangs from causing trouble, like the Daask and other lesser local gangs. (Karl the Bouncer, at House of Cards; overheard from a big winner)
- Trail on Mitchum’s assassin has gone cold. (investigations)
- Supplies for silent sandals came from place in High Walls, “forgotten dens of man veil a passage into wild land of dark cats. Dragon gazes at rafters/webbed branches.” (Kaelys Tela the seer)
- Lammanian camp commander: Reed, High Walls, section 345b (Reed, Boromar commander)
- The Lammanian camp commander’s superior ordered Softfoot murdered because the Daask were after him. Said superior is a member of the Ranking Boromar Family. (Reed, Boromar commander)
- The stables arson wasn’t meant to be an arson, it was just meant to humiliate the owner and steal a Counselor’s Seal document from his strongbox for forgery. (Reed, Boromar commander)
- Further prying into Benton’s mind reveals the person who told him about the changelings might have had an aspect of a female elf? Could be a changeling working for the Tyrants? (Wolf)
- Inquisitive Raijin believes the order to kill Softfoot came from Eglantine Boromar, a prominent merchant & patron of the arts in Seventh Tower in Upper Menthis. She has no prior criminal connections. (Brigade)
- Wand of Eternal Firebolt
- Poison Remnants on Mitchem’s Corpse
- Magically Silenced Small-Sized Shoes hidden in Mitchem’s Cobbler Shop. (Crafted from fey panther leather and rare Lammannian spider ‘silentsilk’.)
- Dassk Gang Brandings on Goblins asasulting Mitchem’s Cobbler Shop.
- Poison darts used to erase Commander Reed’s memory.
Next Steps (assigned to Watch)
- Meet up with architect Drogar Carnegie. Question him about Sinatra, Carriage Service.
- Question Benton the arson leader, try to identify halfling (changeling?) that instigated this.
- Question Nador the clerk, try to figure out more about Sinatra and shady Carriage dealings.
- Question the Carriage Service’s owner about the Counselor’s Seal document in his strongbox.
- Determine if the Tyrants were involved in the arson.
- Investigate Carriage Service for shady dealings.
- Investigate Sinatra, try to find evidence of illegal or shady dealings.
- Determine who wanted the Carriage Service burned.